"generations" in the NASB - a significant word tracking God's plan through mankind
6 July 2014
KEY PASSAGES using "generations" tell the unfolding story of how God progressively worked with mankind
to resolve the issue of sin and reveal the Messiah Jesus Christ.
The expectation of the messiah was introduced in Genesis 3:14.
Adam and Eve expected him to come through them and named their children accordingly. What is
interesting to note is when there are two sons, such as Ishmael and Isaac, and Esau and Jacob,
God choses the second instead of the first. Jesus was referred to in the New Testament as the second Adam.
There is a general listing of the son's, such as Shem, Ham and Japeth, and then an expansion of the chosen
son, e.g. Shem. Same thing with Esau and Jacob. It is important to notice these differences as it tells us
about God's plan and purpose.
Note when God says a "permanent ordinance", or an "everlasting covenant". These are
important relative to Israel, but not the Church. God's promise to Abraham was not conditional, nothing Abraham
could do would change the covenant. It was Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah, and David that received these promises,
and were never transfered or canceled. Romans reveals that through Jesus Christ we are grafted into the vine
and receive the blessings of these promises through the Jew. We are warned not to be arrogant toward the vine.
A clear warning that the Church might try to usurp Israel's place in God's promises.
God's divine plan runs contrary to mankind's thinking and expectations.
- Gen_5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day when God created man, He made him in the likeness of God.
- Gen_6:9 These are the records of the generations of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his time; Noah walked with God.
- Gen_9:12 God said, "This is the sign of the covenant which I am making between Me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all successive generations;
- Gen_10:1 Now these are the records of the generations of Shem, Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah; and sons were born to them after the flood.
- Gen_11:10 These are the records of the generations of Shem. Shem was one hundred years old, and became the father of Arpachshad two years after the flood;
- Gen_11:27 Now these are the records of the generations of Terah. Terah became the father of Abram, Nahor and Haran; and Haran became the father of Lot.
- Gen_17:7 "I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your descendants after you.
- Gen_17:9 God said further to Abraham, "Now as for you, you shall keep My covenant, you and your descendants after you throughout their generations.
- Gen_17:12 "And every male among you who is eight days old shall be circumcised throughout your generations, a servant who is born in the house or who is bought with money from any foreigner, who is not of your descendants.
- Gen_25:12 Now these are the records of the generations of Ishmael, Abraham's son, whom Hagar the Egyptian, Sarah's maid, bore to Abraham;
- Gen_25:19 Now these are the records of the generations of Isaac, Abraham's son: Abraham became the father of Isaac;
- Gen_36:1 Now these are the records of the generations of Esau (that is, Edom).
- Gen_36:9 These then are the records of the generations of Esau the father of the Edomites in the hill country of Seir.
- Gen_37:2 These are the records of the generations of Jacob. Joseph, when seventeen years of age, was pasturing the flock with his brothers while he was still a youth, along with the sons of Bilhah and the sons of Zilpah, his father's wives. And Joseph brought back a bad report about them to their father.
- Exo_3:15 God, furthermore, said to Moses, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is My memorial-name to all generations.
- Exo_6:16 These are the names of the sons of Levi according to their generations: Gershon and Kohath and Merari; and the length of Levi's life was one hundred and thirty-seven years.
- Exo_6:19 The sons of Merari: Mahli and Mushi. These are the families of the Levites according to their generations.
- Exo_12:14 'Now this day will be a memorial to you, and you shall celebrate it as a feast to the LORD; throughout your generations you are to celebrate it as a permanent ordinance.
- Exo_12:17 'You shall also observe the Feast of Unleavened Bread, for on this very day I brought your hosts out of the land of Egypt; therefore you shall observe this day throughout your generations as a permanent ordinance.
- Exo_12:42 It is a night to be observed for the LORD for having brought them out from the land of Egypt; this night is for the LORD, to be observed by all the sons of Israel throughout their generations.
- Exo_16:32 Then Moses said, "This is what the LORD has commanded, 'Let an omerful of it be kept throughout your generations, that they may see the bread that I fed you in the wilderness, when I brought you out of the land of Egypt.'"
- Exo_16:33 Moses said to Aaron, "Take a jar and put an omerful of manna in it, and place it before the LORD to be kept throughout your generations."
- Exo_20:5 "You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,
- Exo_27:21 "In the tent of meeting, outside the veil which is before the testimony, Aaron and his sons shall keep it in order from evening to morning before the LORD; it shall be a perpetual statute throughout their generations for the sons of Israel.
- Exo_29:42 "It shall be a continual burnt offering throughout your generations at the doorway of the tent of meeting before the LORD, where I will meet with you, to speak to you there.
- Exo_30:8 "When Aaron trims the lamps at twilight, he shall burn incense. There shall be perpetual incense before the LORD throughout your generations.
- Exo_30:10 "Aaron shall make atonement on its horns once a year; he shall make atonement on it with the blood of the sin offering of atonement once a year throughout your generations. It is most holy to the LORD."
- Exo_30:21 "So they shall wash their hands and their feet, so that they will not die; and it shall be a perpetual statute for them, for Aaron and his descendants throughout their generations."
- Exo_30:31 "You shall speak to the sons of Israel, saying, 'This shall be a holy anointing oil to Me throughout your generations.
- Exo_31:13 "But as for you, speak to the sons of Israel, saying, 'You shall surely observe My sabbaths; for this is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you.
- Exo_31:16 'So the sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath, to celebrate the sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant.'
- Exo_34:7 who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations."
- Exo_40:15 and you shall anoint them even as you have anointed their father, that they may minister as priests to Me; and their anointing will qualify them for a perpetual priesthood throughout their generations."
- Lev_3:17 'It is a perpetual statute throughout your generations in all your dwellings: you shall not eat any fat or any blood.'"
- Lev_6:18 'Every male among the sons of Aaron may eat it; it is a permanent ordinance throughout your generations, from the offerings by fire to the LORD. Whoever touches them will become consecrated.'"
- Lev_7:36 'These the LORD had commanded to be given them from the sons of Israel in the day that He anointed them. It is their due forever throughout their generations.'"
- Lev_10:9 "Do not drink wine or strong drink, neither you nor your sons with you, when you come into the tent of meeting, so that you will not die--it is a perpetual statute throughout your generations--
- Lev_17:7 "They shall no longer sacrifice their sacrifices to the goat demons with which they play the harlot. This shall be a permanent statute to them throughout their generations."'
- Lev_21:17 "Speak to Aaron, saying, 'No man of your offspring throughout their generations who has a defect shall approach to offer the food of his God.
- Lev_22:3 "Say to them, 'If any man among all your descendants throughout your generations approaches the holy gifts which the sons of Israel dedicate to the LORD, while he has an uncleanness, that person shall be cut off from before Me; I am the LORD.
- Lev_23:14 'Until this same day, until you have brought in the offering of your God, you shall eat neither bread nor roasted grain nor new growth. It is to be a perpetual statute throughout your generations in all your dwelling places.
- Lev_23:21 'On this same day you shall make a proclamation as well; you are to have a holy convocation. You shall do no laborious work. It is to be a perpetual statute in all your dwelling places throughout your generations.
- Lev_23:31 "You shall do no work at all. It is to be a perpetual statute throughout your generations in all your dwelling places.
- Lev_23:41 'You shall thus celebrate it as a feast to the LORD for seven days in the year. It shall be a perpetual statute throughout your generations; you shall celebrate it in the seventh month.
- Lev_23:43 so that your generations may know that I had the sons of Israel live in booths when I brought them out from the land of Egypt. I am the LORD your God.'"
- Lev_24:3 "Outside the veil of testimony in the tent of meeting, Aaron shall keep it in order from evening to morning before the LORD continually; it shall be a perpetual statute throughout your generations.
- Lev_25:30 'But if it is not bought back for him within the space of a full year, then the house that is in the walled city passes permanently to its purchaser throughout his generations; it does not revert in the jubilee.
- Num_3:1 Now these are the records of the generations of Aaron and Moses at the time when the LORD spoke with Moses on Mount Sinai.
- Num_9:10 "Speak to the sons of Israel, saying, 'If any one of you or of your generations becomes unclean because of a dead person, or is on a distant journey, he may, however, observe the Passover to the LORD.
- Num_10:8 "The priestly sons of Aaron, moreover, shall blow the trumpets; and this shall be for you a perpetual statute throughout your generations.
- Num_14:18 'The LORD is slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness, forgiving iniquity and transgression; but He will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generations.'
- Num_15:14 'If an alien sojourns with you, or one who may be among you throughout your generations, and he wishes to make an offering by fire, as a soothing aroma to the LORD, just as you do so he shall do.
- Num_15:15 'As for the assembly, there shall be one statute for you and for the alien who sojourns with you, a perpetual statute throughout your generations; as you are, so shall the alien be before the LORD.
- Num_15:21 'From the first of your dough you shall give to the LORD an offering throughout your generations.
- Num_15:23 even all that the LORD has commanded you through Moses, from the day when the LORD gave commandment and onward throughout your generations,
- Num_15:38 "Speak to the sons of Israel, and tell them that they shall make for themselves tassels on the corners of their garments throughout their generations, and that they shall put on the tassel of each corner a cord of blue.
- Num_18:23 "Only the Levites shall perform the service of the tent of meeting, and they shall bear their iniquity; it shall be a perpetual statute throughout your generations, and among the sons of Israel they shall have no inheritance.
- Num_35:29 'These things shall be for a statutory ordinance to you throughout your generations in all your dwellings.
- Deu_5:9 'You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,
- Deu_32:7 "Remember the days of old, Consider the years of all generations. Ask your father, and he will inform you, Your elders, and they will tell you.
- Jos_22:27 rather it shall be a witness between us and you and between our generations after us, that we are to perform the service of the LORD before Him with our burnt offerings, and with our sacrifices and with our peace offerings, so that your sons will not say to our sons in time to come, "You have no portion in the LORD."'
- Jos_22:28 "Therefore we said, 'It shall also come about if they say this to us or to our generations in time to come, then we shall say, "See the copy of the altar of the LORD which our fathers made, not for burnt offering or for sacrifice; rather it is a witness between us and you."'
- Jdg_3:2 only in order that the generations of the sons of Israel might be taught war, those who had not experienced it formerly).
- Rth_4:18 Now these are the generations of Perez: to Perez was born Hezron,
- 1Ch_5:7 His kinsmen by their families, in the genealogy of their generations, were Jeiel the chief, then Zechariah
- 1Ch_7:2 The sons of Tola were Uzzi, Rephaiah, Jeriel, Jahmai, Ibsam and Samuel, heads of their fathers' households. The sons of Tola were mighty men of valor in their generations; their number in the days of David was 22,600.
- 1Ch_7:4 With them by their generations according to their fathers' households were 36,000 troops of the army for war, for they had many wives and sons.
- 1Ch_7:9 They were enrolled by genealogy, according to their generations, heads of their fathers' households, 20,200 mighty men of valor.
- 1Ch_8:28 These were heads of the fathers' households according to their generations, chief men who lived in Jerusalem.
- 1Ch_9:9 and their relatives according to their generations, 956. All these were heads of fathers' households according to their fathers' houses.
- 1Ch_9:34 These were heads of fathers' households of the Levites according to their generations, chief men, who lived in Jerusalem.
- 1Ch_16:15 Remember His covenant forever, The word which He commanded to a thousand generations,
- Job_8:8 "Please inquire of past generations, And consider the things searched out by their fathers.
- Job_42:16 After this, Job lived 140 years, and saw his sons and his grandsons, four generations.
- Psa_10:6 He says to himself, "I will not be moved; Throughout all generations I will not be in adversity."
- Psa_45:17 I will cause Your name to be remembered in all generations; Therefore the peoples will give You thanks forever and ever.
- Psa_49:11 Their inner thought is that their houses are forever And their dwelling places to all generations; They have called their lands after their own names.
- Psa_61:6 You will prolong the king's life; His years will be as many generations.
- Psa_72:5 Let them fear You while the sun endures, And as long as the moon, throughout all generations.
- Psa_79:13 So we Your people and the sheep of Your pasture Will give thanks to You forever; To all generations we will tell of Your praise.
- Psa_85:5 Will You be angry with us forever? Will You prolong Your anger to all generations?
- Psa_89:1 A Maskil of Ethan the Ezrahite. I will sing of the lovingkindness of the LORD forever; To all generations I will make known Your faithfulness with my mouth.
- Psa_89:4 I will establish your seed forever And build up your throne to all generations." Selah.
- Psa_90:1 A Prayer of Moses, the man of God. Lord, You have been our dwelling place in all generations.
- Psa_100:5 For the LORD is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting And His faithfulness to all generations.
- Psa_102:12 But You, O LORD, abide forever, And Your name to all generations.
- Psa_102:24 I say, "O my God, do not take me away in the midst of my days, Your years are throughout all generations.
- Psa_105:8 He has remembered His covenant forever, The word which He commanded to a thousand generations,
- Psa_106:31 And it was reckoned to him for righteousness, To all generations forever.
- Psa_119:90 Your faithfulness continues throughout all generations; You established the earth, and it stands.
- Psa_135:13 Your name, O LORD, is everlasting, Your remembrance, O LORD, throughout all generations.
- Psa_145:13 Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, And Your dominion endures throughout all generations.
- Psa_146:10 The LORD will reign forever, Your God, O Zion, to all generations. Praise the LORD!
- Pro_27:24 For riches are not forever, Nor does a crown endure to all generations.
- Isa_41:4 "Who has performed and accomplished it, Calling forth the generations from the beginning? 'I, the LORD, am the first, and with the last. I am He.'"
- Isa_51:8 "For the moth will eat them like a garment, And the grub will eat them like wool. But My righteousness will be forever, And My salvation to all generations."
- Isa_51:9 Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of the LORD; Awake as in the days of old, the generations of long ago. Was it not You who cut Rahab in pieces, Who pierced the dragon?
- Isa_61:4 Then they will rebuild the ancient ruins, They will raise up the former devastations; And they will repair the ruined cities, The desolations of many generations.
- Joe_2:2 A day of darkness and gloom, A day of clouds and thick darkness. As the dawn is spread over the mountains, So there is a great and mighty people; There has never been anything like it, Nor will there be again after it To the years of many generations.
- Joe_3:20 But Judah will be inhabited forever And Jerusalem for all generations.
- Mat_1:17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; from David to the deportation to Babylon, fourteen generations; and from the deportation to Babylon to the Messiah, fourteen generations.
- Luk_1:48 "For He has had regard for the humble state of His bondslave; For behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed.
- Act_14:16 "In the generations gone by He permitted all the nations to go their own ways;
- Act_15:21 "For Moses from ancient generations has in every city those who preach him, since he is read in the synagogues every Sabbath."
- Eph_3:5 which in other generations was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit;
- Eph_3:21 to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.
- Col_1:26 that is, the mystery which has been hidden from the past ages and generations, but has now been manifested to His saints,
107 verses found, 110 matches
Genesis 14 verses found 14 matches
Exodus 19 verses found 19 matches
Leviticus 14 verses found 14 matches
Numbers 11 verses found 11 matches
Deuteronomy 2 verses found 2 matches
Joshua 2 verses found 2 matches
Judges 1 verse found 1 match
Ruth 1 verse found 1 match
1 Chronicles 8 verses found 8 matches
Job 2 verses found 2 matches
Psalms 19 verses found 19 matches
Proverbs 1 verse found 1 match
Isaiah 4 verses found 4 matches
Joel 2 verses found 2 matches
Matthew 1 verse found 4 matches
Luke 1 verse found 1 match
Acts 2 verses found 2 matches
Ephesians 2 verses found 2 matches
Colossians 1 verse found 1 match
free Bible tools used to obtain this list: http://e-sword.net/
BibleTech.net - a site where details of the Bible have been studied and analyzed,
in context and the results presented with minimal commentary.
The focus is on the Bible, in context, carefully analyzed using only the Bible.
The laws of language are used to interpret what is written.
The basic analysis tools are used to determine the writer's intent.
WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, WHY and HOW are questions that will be asked and attempt to be answered.
The Bible is it's own best commentary. To understand the Bible one must read it. If there are things not
found but essential to understanding the passage then we will look at history, archeology, language
and determine the context and culture of the author and their intended audience. We need to understand
the literary genre used.
The plain and simple interpretation of a passage is usually what the author intended.
One must not approach a passage with a preconceived idea of what it says. Read it fresh, read it and
ask questions. Do not seek the mind of other men until you have sought the Word of God. Avoid the
traditions of men. Don't read about the Bible as reported by others, but read it yourself.
Remember that as believers we have the helper, the Holy Spirit, to guide us in understanding the things written.
Some supplemental material may be cited, but it's use is only to present the appropriate Bible verses, or
to provide a historical or cultural reference. We must not assume that the Bible author was writing to us in our own
time and place, but to their contemporaries who understood their culture, history, customs and language.
The Old Testament was not written to or about the New Testament Church. One must not try to make the church fit
the Old Testament. The church is not Israel. America is not Israel. Israel is Israel. The blessings of Israel
are provided to the church through Jesus Christ. God says in Romans 11 that He is not finished with Israel.
In Ezekiel 35 to 40 we see Israel returning to their land in the last days.
There are a few resources in the Reference directory to supplement some details, but if one examines those resources
they will often find other details that contradict the Bible by those authors, therefore we must identify and validate
Biblical issues with the details from the Bible only, and supplement for clarification by other writers when possible.
e.g., in the Coming Prince the author talks of a Friday crucifixion, yet a detailed analysis of the Passion Week
demonstrates a Thursday crucifixion. A careful analysis of Leviticus and the Gospels was done to determine this.
The details are in the Crucifixion directory. The writer of the Coming Prince was not addressing the issue of the
crucifixion and made reference to the common view of his day. This is why we must use the Bible as our primary source.
Examine the verses and material, if you see an error in this material or have additional information please send an
email to john at this domain.
The goal is understanding the Bible, not proving or disproving any of the works of man or doctrinal statements or
confessions of faith. It's all about the Bible. And the Bible is all about Jesus Christ.
This site will not follow the traditions of men (Colossians 2:8-10). Doctrinal statements from a variety of churches
may be found in an appendix of the Bible Summary guide, but this is to help identify relevant verses, not to promote
one group or another. There are many false teachers out there. Many are deceived and deceiving and leading many
astray. These people ignore the Word of God and twist scripture to fit their views. They use allegory and spiritualize
a passage to make it fit their own world view. We need to carefully analyze a passage and understand it prayerfully.
There is only one correct interpretation, with the possibility of many applications. What did the writer intend?
Who were they writing to? When did they write it? Why did they write it? How did they write it? What were the issues,
the problems, the event? We have to understand the passage in the context it was written in a point of space and time.
We must also understand that the writer would know of God's nature, the Law, and other accepted ideas of the Jews when
writing. Most of the writers of the Bible were Jews, they would have understood the Old Testament with all its history
and prophecies and feasts. Because the Bible is often terse the writers rarely provide details about events, but will
mention it in ways that most of us in the West will not understand or take as significant. A careful study of the Word
will keep you alert to these subtle keys and match them up to other passages in Scripture. In the study of the
crucifixion works such as "preparation day", Sabbath according to the commandment, a High Sabbath, and other details
pointed to various Old Testmanent details. Details...
If one is in a leadership position at a local church they must take care to avoid refering to writers to make a point,
There is a risk that your flock will read that author instead of the Bible... is that what you want them to do?
This is suggested not because there is not wisdom available through other sources than the Bible, it is that
these writings are not inspired and almost always include errors. It is far better to encourage the flock to
study the Bible. Helping others learn more about the Bible is what we should be doing, not promoting man.